Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Bikes

Bikes Bike talk & fotos! Let's see that bad bike!

Old 05-16-2019, 12:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Thanks, dutch!

I'm a "heavy metal" fabricator and welder, with an early (abbreviated) career in collision repair. I can iron out some damage, but I'm nobody's "coach builder".

Unfortunately, I never learned how to do what you do, but I hope to learn before I die. (Little demand for custom work in my corner of the world.)

Another question:

- Have you tried TIG welding the same joints? I don't see a huge difference between the two processes, especially when performing a fusion weld with no filler rod... I'd appreciate your opinion on the subject...

I came from heavy metal myself Doc... I`m a farrier and blacksmith by trade and after I quit shoeing horses I worked as fabricator welder building bike frames ,sidecars, trikes and race quads... but I also had my share of H-beams.

about the tig welding...Should work I guess but I suck at tig welding...

Last edited by dutch; 05-16-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Doc, I tig fusion welded a set of quarter panels that I stretched on a 74 Javilen and they came out just like Dutch's welds.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
I came from heavy metal myself Doc... I`m a farrier and blacksmith by trade and after I quit shoeing horses I worked as fabricator welder building bike frames ,sidecars, trikes and race quads... but I also had my share of H-beams.

about the tig welding...Should work I guess but I suck at tig welding...
Thanks for your reply, dutch. I don't have an oxy/acetylene setup anymore. (I still have torches, but no bottles. Since I acquired a plasma cutter and discovered zip-cut discs, my torches are busy collecting dust.) I like to think I'm handy with my TIG, though I've never tried a long, continuous run on light gauge material.

Thanks again for your explanation(s) dutch, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Doc, I tig fusion welded a set of quarter panels that I stretched on a 74 Javelin and they came out just like Dutch's welds.
Thanks for chiming in, OI. I respect your opinion and I (now) feel confident I can attempt a delicate butt weld with my TIG.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

there`s one thing I really dont like about tig welding vs o/a. Its sooo sensitive on pollution. The slow pace and high temps of a/o welding clear out most crap before fusion is there.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I hear you loud and clear, dutch. I've TIG welded miles of CLEAN aluminum, some chromoly, some stainless and some mild steel... like you said, TIG does not play well with contamination, period!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

that said... contamination is the word I`ve been trying to find....
Why 2 words in english while 1 word in dutch for the same thing...?

So what happens when tig welding sheet, at least when I weld; I end up with crappy welds which need a lot of repairs which causes uneven heat, uneven shrinkage and a lot of distortion.

Hey Doc... thanks for cleaing up why I dont like tig on sheet ...
Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The metal definitely needs to be clean and have a the smallest diameter wire in hand just in case you need to dob that blowout.
Low amps, 1/16" or smaller tungsten and keep moving.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanks for the tips and advice, guys.

dutch: You write English very well... call it pollution or call it contamination, welders know exactly what you're saying.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan