Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A!

Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! Tranny, rear end, drivetrain related stuff... shift it... grind it... pop da clutch!

Old 02-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default New trans option

I'm getting a 60's 327 from a friend so naturally I started thinking about my next build, even though I ain't got the first one done. I want an older coupe and I want 3 pedals in this one. The Muncies have went crazy on prices so I was thinking about a T5 and 3.73 gears. I was doing some research and found a stouter AX15 that a lot of the jeep and rock crawler guys use. You can get a 2WD version in the cherokee and Dakota pick up. 94 to 2000 or so, not exactly sure on years. Shifter sets in a good place and Novak makes a adapter kit for $319 to bolt it to a chevy bell housing. 1st gear is low but with a 30 inch tire and a 3.73, I think it'd work great. 1/2 price day at a pick and pull and you'd have a cheap 5 spd, you'd want to get the yoke also. I got my eyes open for a decent mileage one, hope this helds someone out. The T5 is kinda weak.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Calculations;
$432 with tax, half price at Pick-N-Pull on the AX15
$345 with freight on the adapter
$777.00
Make sure you get the output shaft yoke. It's a 23 spline which is an odd ball.
Is the AX15 an overdrive tranny?

A Saginaw can be found for $250 to $300, T10 Borg Warner $650 to $750, Supper T10 Borg Warner can be bought for $750 to $850 (around here)
Course, you still need a shifter with these 4 speeds.
Then you don't have to deal with the too low of a first gear or the adapter.
Just a few more choices for ya. jmho

Last edited by Old Iron; 02-15-2019 at 10:36 AM.