Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Glad to see you got a little ME time, a guy has to do that to stay sane.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

Good for you closing in on that social security Bam and some free time. Glad to hear it.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:26 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Good for you closing in on that social security Bam and some free time. Glad to hear it.
Thanks Eman! Iím looking forward to having more home time. Iím so backed up now a lot of time I donít know if Iím washing or hanging up!

A little side explanation;
As we get older, we lose our ability to do things. My in laws have gotten to that point, both are now legally blind and canít drive anymore, so my wife has to do the driving for them, as well as other things. Also, as a result, Iím not only having to keep my acreage up, Iím having to do thereís as well because we donít trust Pa on the riding mower anymore, and for sure not on the tractor bush hogging around the pond! My wife has her Dr.s to go to, and Iím finally having some myself. Add to it all the 8 yr old grandson that is on meds himself for his hyperactivity, and we have a full plate! So, I have to let a lot of my stuff go, and take care of others. Me time right now is small and precious. But Iím not complaining, my in-laws have been good to me all these years, and Iím happy to return some of their help, itís the least I can do. So if Iím absent or donít show much progress, you guys now know why. We got to take care of family!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:32 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Thanks Eman! Iím looking forward to having more home time. Iím so backed up now a lot of time I donít know if Iím washing or hanging up!

A little side explanation;
As we get older, we lose our ability to do things. My in laws have gotten to that point, both are now legally blind and canít drive anymore, so my wife has to do the driving for them, as well as other things. Also, as a result, Iím not only having to keep my acreage up, Iím having to do thereís as well because we donít trust Pa on the riding mower anymore, and for sure not on the tractor bush hogging around the pond! My wife has her Dr.s to go to, and Iím finally having some myself. Add to it all the 8 yr old grandson that is on meds himself for his hyperactivity, and we have a full plate! So, I have to let a lot of my stuff go, and take care of others. Me time right now is small and precious. But Iím not complaining, my in-laws have been good to me all these years, and Iím happy to return some of their help, itís the least I can do. So if Iím absent or donít show much progress, you guys now know why. We got to take care of family!
We do indeed.
Stay strong and keep moving forward.
You are lucky that your in-laws were good to you.
It took mine 34 years to admit that their daughter married a "Good One." And that was just my mother in law....
Torchie
Old 05-03-2021, 05:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Good for you for taking on all this without complaint Bama. It's nice to appreciate the in-laws while they are still here. DW and I have lost all four of our parents over the last 10 years and we miss them a lot.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:10 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

A kinda funny kinda sad aside:

My wife is the oldest of four girls raised together, her, her sister, and two cousins. We have been married 43 years as of March. Her sister is on her second husband, as is her oldest cousin. The youngest cousin never married, but has 4 kids by 3-4 different men.

So my wife must have gotten a good one!

I'm taking off a few days, maybe I can get some time in on the car this week.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice that you can repay the favours of your in-laws, Bama, even though it's keeping you away from your hobbies a bit.

My dad had a massive heart attack in November, and it was really a reminder for me of how quickly our lives can change, and therefore reaffirmed for me:

1) Don't put off spending time with those you care about, as we never know how long any of us have, and:

2) Don't put off things you want to do in your life, you never know if it will be your last chance to do them.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Keep the good work
Old 05-03-2021, 09:29 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up

Good work!! Been there x's 4 and very worth it
Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Managed to get a little done today between thunderstorms. Even though I'm working under a roof on a concrete floor, when it starts lightning close by, I get inside!

Got the pittman arm off the replacement steering box, then took the S10 box off the car. Discovered the shaft was a little more misaligned than I thought, so I'm going to change to a U joint and DD shaft instead of the factory GM shaft and rag joint. The replacement Firebird box is 2.75 turns, lock to lock, so I'm thinking it might steer faster, don't know. The S10 box was fine until you put fluid in it with the pump, then it got a sticking spot at dead center. So hard in fact, it took a bit of effort to get it off center, causing it to jerk. Knew that wouldn't work on the road, so it's getting replaced. Never had one do that, it steered manually just fine, no tight spot.

Next, I'm putting the FBird box on, then putting some bracing on the motor mounts, just not quite happy with them yet. They would probably be fine, but I'd rather be a little overbuilt and have no worries.

Nothing picture worthy, yet.