Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 12-05-2021, 09:52 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Coming along nicely!
On the Panhard bar, are you able to mount it to the other side of the 4 link? The longer you can make it, the less deflection you will have as the rear end moves up and down.
The cab is not going to be under near as much stress as a frame so I think box tubing would be just fine for the driveshaft notch. Also you will likely be making a substructure to support the floor sheetmetal, and that can also be tied to the rear of the cab around the C notch, should be plenty strong.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:06 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think my shock mount is in the way. I will look at that tomorrow. How much of a problem do you think is is if I can't?

Yes your right, the floor framing will be tied in to that notch and the sills... perfect.

Did you see my question on wether I need additional reinforcement on my frame in the center section on your last build post?

Thanks ZZ
Old 12-06-2021, 10:54 AM

apr 05 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper View Post
I think my shock mount is in the way. I will look at that tomorrow. How much of a problem do you think is is if I can't?

Yes your right, the floor framing will be tied in to that notch and the sills... perfect.

Did you see my question on wether I need additional reinforcement on my frame in the center section on your last build post?

Thanks ZZ
My opinion on adding more to the center of the frame is yes, but then I also tend to overbuild.... The way I see it is that there is a long stretch between the front crossmember and the rear kickup with nothing to prevent twisting other than the framerails. Of course there are several considerations like the position of the booster, which makes it tough to make reinforcing members symmetrical like with my frame. Also you may need room for exhaust? Or not? In my case, I'll have enough ground clearance that it can run below the frame without hanging too low. Here's a pic of another frame I built for my Black Rat 55 - the exhaust ran out side of the frame on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apr 05 10 rat 55 003 a.jpg (117.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice work on the frames.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
Attachment 169779

My opinion on adding more to the center of the frame is yes, but then I also tend to overbuild.... The way I see it is that there is a long stretch between the front crossmember and the rear kickup with nothing to prevent twisting other than the framerails. Of course there are several considerations like the position of the booster, which makes it tough to make reinforcing members symmetrical like with my frame. Also you may need room for exhaust? Or not? In my case, I'll have enough ground clearance that it can run below the frame without hanging too low. Here's a pic of another frame I built for my Black Rat 55 - the exhaust ran out side of the frame on this one.

This frame??????? Black Rat 55
Old 12-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I fabbed up a c-notch for the rear of the cab to stop the cab sills from spreading. Little overkill but it'll do the job well.

Just tacked in....tomorrow I'll weld it in.

Next stop cab mounts. I have to order a frame mounted brake booster and then I'll reinforce my frame rails from the Z to the kick-ups because when I grow up I wana be just like ZZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5542.jpg (106.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5546.jpg (63.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here's how I lowered the cab in place using my engine lift. Cab is in place but ride height not correct since all 4 wheels are on skates that are about 3" high
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5537.jpg (98.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5554.jpg (107.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:12 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

ZZ.... do you see that black air bagged frame above? That's the frame I was referring to on the powder coat question.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper View Post
ZZ.... do you see that black air bagged frame above? That's the frame I was referring to on the powder coat question.
Yes, I got that. I was trying to give you an example of a different style of center frame structure. I did that entire build with Rustoleum paint.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:36 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

OK....very cool. Sweet Job. I'd like to paint my frame rather than powdercoat.

Was thinking about single staging it. Have you had good luck with the Rustoluem? Spray or Rush.