Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 07-25-2022, 11:55 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

There's nothing more frustrating than buying a project that drives like crap. Wiring and a number of other things are easy to correct, but when the chassis isn't what you were told it was or expected it to be from the sellers description, that's very frustrating. That is a big reason you see some projects going through multiple owners after being built. Now is the time to do it right and make sure whoever gets the project down the road isn't buying a voodoo doll of you.

I can't imagine building stuff and not getting to drive it, that's the best part to me!

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:03 PM
Creators of all things awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec4193 View Post
Hi MinterFab

Honestly I don't enjoy driving old cars...my town has exploded in the last several years...the back roads are gone...the new fuel injected all wheel drive hot rods that all the manufactures are building are no match for the old rusty heaps we are building now...I have had way too many close calls with my old junk....I will drive a race car on a track in a heart beat...on the street...not so much...

Yeah I know...I am a freak...besides I need something to keep me busy at night too...and I love rusty old metal...

MikeC
So do you build them and sell them? Or do you just build them and park them outside your shop? I guess I don't get it. I do understand that not Everyone likes driving them as much as I do. But if your sellimg them dont build half a$$ed junk. Build them like you are going to drive them

Minterfab.com
Old 07-25-2022, 12:04 PM
Creators of all things awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
There's nothing more frustrating than buying a project that drives like crap. Wiring and a number of other things are easy to correct, but when the chassis isn't what you were told it was or expected it to be from the sellers description, that's very frustrating. That is a big reason you see some projects going through multiple owners after being built. Now is the time to do it right and make sure whoever gets the project down the road isn't buying a voodoo doll of you.

I can't imagine building stuff and not getting to drive it, that's the best part to me!
I should have read your response before commenting!!! I agree. Why builf and not drive. I but thousands og miles on my rusty junk every tear

Minterfab.com
Old 07-25-2022, 01:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Also, if you know something is wrong and don't represent it when you sell, you can open yourself up to a law suit. Best to correct it while it's easy to.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Yes I agree totally...

I tell everyone that comes to look at my old rusty stuff and I show them all the stuff that has been done to what ever it is I am selling...

Most of my recent sales is caused by...I get bored really really quick with a project...I see something that looks like I might want to tinker with....so one project goes out the door and then another one comes in...

ADHD is not a fun thing to live with...

thanks for all the insight guys...I really appreciate it...

MikeC
Old 07-28-2022, 09:28 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

A few of us are 90% builders and 10% drivers. I'm one. Your probably are too. It's okay. You don't need therapy.

When I sell a hot rod or project, I make up a list of things wrong with it and what needs to be done.
I've said "no" to buyers if I think they are not capable of fixing the problems or are known hot rod "abusers". Or if in my judgement, will not be happy with the vehicle for any length of time.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:12 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up

Yep, sell the finished one and pay for the next one