Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 PM

really nice. good job.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Thanks for the comps fellas , I'm happy with how it's turning out too. Sometimes in the middle of a build I get to wondering if it will come out anything like the picture in my head so it feels good see it come together.
Here's a few more pics of the interior, also I welded in a flange and put a cap on the collectors, couldn't take the blowby noise anymore.
I also scraped off the PlastiCote Hi temp silver paint - that stuff is crap, always flaking off no matter how clean it is . Resprayed the headers with VHT Flameproof flat silver, it's the best I know of, nobody has it around here anymore, got it from, where else, Ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg june 16 10 rat 55 011 a.jpg (97.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg june 16 10 rat 55 015 a.jpg (103.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg (150.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg june 16 10 rat 55 005 a.jpg (72.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg june 17 10 rat 55 003 a.jpg (65.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice! Compliments on your work!

How long have you been at this build?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...

as i have said before.. you do great work... It turned out awesome.. How does it drive?

You will have to let us know what people guess it is when you start taking it places

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9479
Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Can't say enough about this build!!! Great ride!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Z.Rat View Post

Thanks ! I started on it in November of 2009, it took longer than I expected, due to all the body fab plus making extra things like the fenders , and 3 tries at the aircleaner, etc. Worth the effort I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORPO View Post
as i have said before.. you do great work... It turned out awesome.. How does it drive?

You will have to let us know what people guess it is when you start taking it places
Thanks again. Drives great !! I haven't driven on skinny bias ply tires for a long time but they work great, not too much tendency to tramline. At normal ride hieght - about 3" up from what you see in the pics - it only needs 30 psi front and rear so it makes for a nice ride.
With the 30" tires, 3.00 rear gears and 700R4 trans it's only turning about 1800 rpm at 60 mph ! So most of the time around town it's pretty much just idling and with the lumpy cam it has a tendency to load up the plugs. Since the engine is fresh, I haven't been thrashing on it, what it needs is a good highway krooze....
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Z.Rat View Post

Thanks ! I started on it in November of 2009, it took longer than I expected, due to all the body fab plus making extra things like the fenders , and 3 tries at the aircleaner, etc. Worth the effort I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORPO View Post

Thanks again. Drives great !! I haven't driven on skinny bias ply tires for a long time but they work great, not too much tendency to tramline. At normal ride hieght - about 3" up from what you see in the pics - it only needs 30 psi front and rear so it makes for a nice ride.
With the 30" tires, 3.00 rear gears and 700R4 trans it's only turning about 1800 rpm at 60 mph ! So most of the time around town it's pretty much just idling and with the lumpy cam it has a tendency to load up the plugs. Since the engine is fresh, I haven't been thrashing on it, what it needs is a good highway krooze....
Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

This truck is just plain beautiful. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share your craftsmanship with us.

Regards,
Shea

Father,School Bus Mechanic, Home Handyman, Car Lover, Husband-All to varying degrees of mediocrity
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Simply stunning! Congrats on a truly unique truck.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM

The engine just hasn't been running right and a couple rockers keep getting out of adjustment so today I got serious and tore it apart. Bad news for sure - two cam lobes wiped out !! I used lots of cam lube and did the proper break in routine, 20 min. @ 2000 rpm and still this happened. I have to wonder if this Speedpro cam was a dud from the get go. The springs are regular Z28 ones so not too stiff - has anyone else had trouble with Speedpro cams and lifters?? The lifters also were tough to adjust right - zero lash hot, not like regular Chev lifters where you add 1/2 turn to preload them.
Of course I went too radical on the duration to get the big lumpy cam sound and that made the bottom end power lousy plus the single plane manifold didn't help there either.
So today I ordered a new Comp cam and lifters with less duration hopefully will have better luck this time...
I'm also suspicious of the Demon carb, it was cheap but just seems to run ragged on part throttle and generally runs rich even with the idle screws turned right in. I might toss it and go with what always works for me right out of the box, a good ol' HOLLEY. Anybody else had bad experiences with these Demon carbs ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg june 22 10 rat 55 005 a.jpg (64.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg june 22 10 rat 55 002 a.jpg (79.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg june 22 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg (94.2 KB, 29 views)