Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Sorry to hear about the cam. I've never used a Speedpro cam, but they seem to be a reputible company. I bet this was flawed casting or something. I would try contacting the company first before spending the money on another cam.

Just out of curiousity, where was the cam made?

1941 Dodge Truck - Project
Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I was thinking about a Demon carb. Checked on Hotrodders.com and HAMB and a couple other sites. The comments were almost all negative. Changed my mind.

I'm running an Edelbrock on the '53 with a mostly stock 350 - it works great out of the box.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:35 AM
The Hot Rod Cop

Have you read about the new oils having a lack of mineral addatives in them like Zinc? If you are running a flat tappet cam you have to run an addative with them every oil change to keep them lubricated properly. Otherwise you will wipe out the cam in the first hour of running. You also have to clean the cam extensively before adding your cam lube. If it has any cosmoline on it the cam lube will not "stick" to the lobes. also the cosmoline will pack up and gall the lobe face. myself and my bodyshop managers (long time street rodder) both lost cams on initial start up due to this. Some cam manufacturers are now adding a lube recomendation sheet with their cams.

Funny about the demon carb issue. Once they are tuned demons run great but out of the box my road demon on my 396 had a part throttle lean condition. Had to jump up like 4 jet sizes on the primarys. Edelbrocks will get you better mileage as well.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Sorry to hear about the cam. I've never used a Speedpro cam, but they seem to be a reputible company. I bet this was flawed casting or something. I would try contacting the company first before spending the money on another cam.

Just out of curiousity, where was the cam made?
Well, I already bought a Comp cam and lifters, I'm not even going to bother chasing them down on it, I just want it on the road again. Iv'e never had this happen before, hate having to tear into a fresh engine to do it again tho... Dunno where it was manufactured, sure have to wonder if it is offshore origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ3100 View Post
I was thinking about a Demon carb. Checked on Hotrodders.com and HAMB and a couple other sites. The comments were almost all negative. Changed my mind.

I'm running an Edelbrock on the '53 with a mostly stock 350 - it works great out of the box.
Yeah, I saw some bad reviews too on the Demon and it got me thinking. I'm no carb genius but I can tell there's something not right here. Maybe it was impulsive but Lordco has a sale on so I bought a new 670 Holley today. I hate fiddling with crap and every Holley I've ever had worked fine out of the box and even better with tuning. Got the Demon cheap so maybe it will run better hanging on the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfg455 View Post
Have you read about the new oils having a lack of mineral addatives in them like Zinc? If you are running a flat tappet cam you have to run an addative with them every oil change to keep them lubricated properly. Otherwise you will wipe out the cam in the first hour of running. You also have to clean the cam extensively before adding your cam lube. If it has any cosmoline on it the cam lube will not "stick" to the lobes. also the cosmoline will pack up and gall the lobe face. myself and my bodyshop managers (long time street rodder) both lost cams on initial start up due to this. Some cam manufacturers are now adding a lube recomendation sheet with their cams.

Funny about the demon carb issue. Once they are tuned demons run great but out of the box my road demon on my 396 had a part throttle lean condition. Had to jump up like 4 jet sizes on the primarys. Edelbrocks will get you better mileage as well.
Yes, Ive heard about the Zinc thing, but that's nothing new, I've used the new oils on other builds, no trouble at all. By 'cosmoline' do you mean that grease sometimes on engine parts? The Speedpro cam was clean tho and had the usual dull black finish on the lobes. One thing bugs me though and that is the 'red' cam lube that I used, it seems common these days. I always used to use GM molydisulfide grease on cams and lifters and NEVER had wear issues with it - it's black and looks like liquid graphite - it really sticks. I still have a bit left from 25 years ago and I'm going back to that this time, it really goes a long way.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Got the new Comp cam and lifters in and sprung for a new 670 Holley Street Avenger carb. As soon as the gas got to the carb, it fired up and ran great, went right into the 20 min. @ 2000 rpm cam break in period, no problems. Now it has the missing bottom end power, no stumbling, part throttle sputtering, no more running rich. Definitely the Demon carb was haywire from the start - here's something weird too - during disassembly, when I took off the vacuum advance hose and the hose to the vacuum switch for the 700R4 they were full of gas !! I've NEVER seen a carb do that !! Lesson learned - By contrast, the Holley works great right off the bat .
While I had it apart, I also fabbed up a partial fan shroud since the fan sits kinda low on the rad, and added a coolant overflow bottle to control those embarrasing drips when you shut it off (only happens when someone is watching).
Now it's time for some proper cruising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg june 25 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg (108.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg june 25 10 rat 55 005 a.jpg (89.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice! What was the price difference between the Holley and the Demon?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Nice! What was the price difference between the Holley and the Demon?
Well, I got the 625 Road Demon on ebay from Calif. for $220, supposedly barely used and it came with a full box of Holley jets, guy had put it on his kids Camaro with a stock 305 and couldn't get it to run right - it looked fine, in fact like new,still in the box with the video, stickers etc.. By the time it got to Canada with shipping and the customs rip-off plus exchange to Canadian , it cost me almost $400 !! So much for the good deal. The new Holley was $480 including taxes so not much more especially considering it WORKS. I should have just gone that route in the first place...
Old 06-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Wow, that sucks! Some of these "bargains" end up being the more expensive route.

Thanks for sharing, though. I've been deciding whether I should rebuild my Quadrajet or buy an adapter plate and run a brand new 4 bbl carburetor. I'll stay away from Demon for sure.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM
The Hot Rod Cop

I didn't realize you had bought a used carb. No telling what the other guy did to it. My rule of thumb is not to pay more than $50 for a carb used. That way I see it as a core if it doesn't work! glad to hear it is up and running good again.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Got it out to it's first small meet for Canada Day, only about 160 vehicles, felt a bit odd with the only rod of this type there! Here's a pic of the only real rat truck there, a 46 Chev.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july 1 10 westbank 013 a.jpg (133.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg july 1 10 westbank 012 a.jpg (148.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg july 1 10 westbank 001 a.jpg (131.1 KB, 79 views)