Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 12-08-2021, 10:44 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper View Post
OK....very cool. Sweet Job. I'd like to paint my frame rather than powdercoat.

Was thinking about single staging it. Have you had good luck with the Rustoluem? Spray or Rush.
It really depends on what you expect from a paint job. Rustoleum is cheap and easy to get from your local building supply store. It is basically old style acrylic enamel, it takes forever to dry but that can be fixed by adding hardener to the mix. To spray, I've been using 5 parts Rustoleum, 1 part Acetone and 1/2 part hardener. I've just used whatever hardener I have around, usually some kind of urethane hardener. I've sprayed it directly on bare metal and on primer - I will say that it is harder to sand the Rustoleum primer if you are looking for a super finish, it is still pretty elastic, you'll need to wet sand. Usually I prime with epoxy or urethane primer/surfacer because I'm lazy and don't like wet sanding, so I can do it dry . I used it on my recent 37 Packard build for the dash and interior bits, the Chestnut brown happened to be a great match to the original color.
Do some practice spraying first to get used to it, you may want to tweak the mix with more or less Acetone depending on your gun and skill level, etc.
I am certainly no expert at this and have had my share of screw-ups and runs - it's always an adventure painting stuff in far less than ideal conditions but I stubbornly keep doing it.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Hey ZZ.... Thanks for all the info. I was wondering if it was paint or powder coat. Looks great in the pics. I paint and have access to a downdraft booth at my son's job. All of my front end & rear end components on my dakota are powder coated. It's nice cause it last forever....

I'm not sure if I will powder coat or just single stage it.....

Keep you posted....
Old 12-08-2021, 07:54 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Will be easier to change or repair with paint.

https://www.zazzle.com/2022_fat_fend...46680814180838
Old 12-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That's what I'm thinking.... I can shoot it myself here as well. Thanks for your input
Old 12-11-2021, 12:05 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Frame Reinforcement

Ok so here's my idea.

I go from the kick up at the uprights that are on both sides of my driveshaft loop forward on an angle to the side rails just behing my Z on both sides.

I will fab the piece that runs side by side that will also hold my front drive shaft loop will be flanged and bolt in. I'll weld some nuts into the angle pieces so I just not relying on tappings into 3/16. I have to make sure I have enough room to get my trans out. Any idea how far it has to come back to drop......6" be enough?

I can put an additional out rigger between my rail and the angled piece say in the middle if needed.

As far as the xmember under the motor goes, I can do like the picture frame to frame just behind my motor mounts but jogged down for oil pan clearance should I have to drop it.

Whatda think? And thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5556.jpg (101.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5561.jpg (109.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I woke up with thoughts of mounting my brake booster.....ARG.

I'm going to have to wait for the booster to arrive before I screw up.....it's on the way.

It's supposed to be almost 70 degrees here today...I think I'm gona slow this down and ride today.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Six inches back from the engine is plenty enough room to clear the tranny for removal.
:d
[p[p[p
Old 12-11-2021, 10:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

You read my mind brother! I was just getting ready to call a local trans joint. I don't have a torque converter in there yet so had no idea. I'm messing with the frame reinforcement but have to wait for my brake booster to come. I beleive my frame isn't as wide as ZZ's

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2021, 11:01 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

I know re-doing things sucks, but consider moving the tranny mount down to bridge across the new frame members. Bolt it solidly to the new frame members and use a rubber or poly mount between it and the tranny. That way the tranny crossmember becomes a structural piece of the frame.
BTW, my frame is 34" wide.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

You have to unbolt the torque converter from the engine before pulling the tranny then, it comes out with the tranny.