Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The 301 I'm helping to build will have EFI so I'm trying to learn all that I can about it.

Torchie
Old 01-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Come on, nothing ventured nothing gained
Old 01-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Builder Junky!

I want to underline something ORR said, so I don't go on a rant afterwards. Guys, use dielectric grease in connections when those connections are near our atmosphere, [that's everywhere]. Thanks ORR for bringing that up.
EFI is really nice most of the time, it's just scary if it quits.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:37 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

apart from all pro`s and con`s, I really like the looks of an old engine with carburetor. If it was all about efficiency and reliability, there are far better options than a dinosaur V8.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

While I do appreciate Kenny's plug - I'm the first to admit that I bought my fuel injected LS from a shop that deletes all the unnecessary stuff and provided some really good instruction on what connections I was responsible for. I still have the ODB connection for troubleshooting, and the 4L60 is computer controlled.
I agree with Dutch on the look of the FI, I like the look of the old stuff - but in my case I was looking at it as something my wife could easily drive (if my health becomes a problem again) and I have learned a ton going this route! Bottom line POPS - do what's right for you, we will all support it.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:05 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-POPS View Post
It is nice when it's all playing nicely together but one dang glitch can shut you down.

I hear this a lot, a LOT. and when I hear it I remember that I have been driving fuel injected cars of all types since the mid 80s and the only glitch that ever shut me down were when two separate vehicles (of dozens) had a fuel pump failure. I have had em all, mechanical fuel injection (2002tii), electro mechanical (kjet scirocco), early afm type (bmw ljet, gm bosch-type), early maf (bmw motronic), TBI, alpha n, batch fired, sequential, direct injection, DOZENS. I even programmed (as in wrote the assembly code myself) a custom setup to run e85 on multiple throttle bodies, it made for a really angry sounding 100hp 4 cylinder. sum total failures: two bad fuel pumps and zero glitches.

I know you made your mind up, and aesthetics do mean a lot on these rides. that TBI setup is sure ugly enough to start a fight. but the number of people that think you park when you have a check engine light is too damn high haha.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:04 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

After fighting the Fitech (can you say POS) throttle body FI for two years, I'll not do any type of FI except fuel rail injection system.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:54 PM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Default Progress.......

I really do appreciate all of the input on this guys. The bottom line for me is I'm old and not very computer savvy. That plus I crawl into my old Dodge with the carbureted 408 stroker that I built and I just can't bring myself to do the EFI thing. It's so fine and just short of a 409! [I loved that song]

Not to mention I got to the point of using a pair of side cutters as my main tool when I was taking the ECM stuff off the motor to pull the cab off the Dakota.

Got the 3" spacer blocks off the rear end and will get the front junk off the front suspension and rebuild all that. It's pretty much worn out.

I drug, dragged? the frame out side the shop and it's sitting out there soaking.
I sprayed it down with a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone and will steam clean it so I can carry on.

Need to just cut 5" out of the wheel base for this thing and set the cab and bed on it to figure out the engine placement.

Still beatin on it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2922.jpg (174.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2934.jpg (172.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2933.jpg (213.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2931.jpg (173.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2936.jpg (180.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

GitRDone, 😃 never heard of acetone and ATF as a degreaser, it make the best penetrating oil

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I wish I had your ambition. Keep at it Pops.